Sunday, March 1, 2015

Week Seven: Famous Last Words

I believe during the first week or two that I wrote about starting a personal blog. My friend has been encouraging me to create one, so that, I can express myself more. Well, I created one earlier this semester but never posted anything. During this past week, I was inspired by an old friend. 

I realized how fast time flies by. When we were little, we could not wait for the next step in life such as: going to high school, getting our driver's license, joining the cheer squad, and having a boyfriend. We were crazy for wanting all of those things coming so soon! I can say that now that I have experienced all of those things. I can say that now that I can look back to elementary school and know things were so simple. 

My friend Jessi, also known as Biskit for whatever reason, called me crying and I was shocked. I had not spoken with Jessi in almost two years. We did not have a huge disagreement or anything of that nature. We just seemed to grow apart and I no longer felt comfortable. She moved to California our sophomore year of high school, which was hard on us both. Luckily, she returned to Oklahoma to attend college at a local junior college. I was so happy that she was back and believed that everything would begin exactly where it ended two years prior. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Jessi was a completely different person. She was drinking alcohol, smoking marijuana, and had had several boyfriends. On the other hand, my mother did not let me do anything outside or school, work, and sports. I did not really have time for anything outside of those focuses. I claimed to have had a boyfriend in high school but it was not like having a boyfriend now that I am older. 

Jessi and I hung out and conversed in moderation. Everything was going great until she dropped out of college. She had a full ride sports scholarship and dropped out! She began to date this guy, which I have known for years and do not really care for, and moved closer to where we both grew up. The two lovebirds moved in with each other and began to play house. I tried many times to warn her of the path that she was on; but she would never listen. We began to talk to each other less and less as the days went by. I was too busy to consume myself with a friend that was not as focused on school as I was. 

During the summer before my Junior year, she calls me and asks that I be her maid of honor. Lol. I was shocked but said yes. She was really about to marry this guy. If it made her happy, then I would be happy for her. So, fast forward to about two years later, which is present day, and I get her call of her hysterically crying. She found her ex-fiance cheating on her with some other girl.  After calming her down, she catches me up on everything else going on in her life. She still is not in school, she has a job but is actively seeking another, and she does not plan on going back to school. She says that the LPN program, 15-18 months of school, is just too long. 

My point is that I am really proud of myself. The group of friends that I had from middle school and high school have fell off the wagon. Out of the five friends, I am the only one still in school. I do not have a baby. I do not have a record. I do not feel that I am better than any of them. I just appreciate my mother. I was always teased for having a strict parent but it has gotten me this far. I have had the senioritis this semester but that phone call has helped. I'm appreciative. 

Which do you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment