Friday, April 10, 2015

Week Twelve: Extra Reading Diary

For my extra reading diary, I chose to read the Nursery Rhymes unit by Andrew Lang. I really like nursery rhymes for various reasons. I love poetry and stories that rhyme. I also like that they are short and get the point across. 

Babes in the Wood gave me the mystery and drama that I like to read. It is saddening that children were kidnap. I would not wish that on anyone. It makes me think of all the children that are being kidnapped and killed today. My heart goes out to those families. I do not have children of my own, but I can only imagine how they may feel. A parent should never have to bury their children. 

There was a Crooked Man and Simple Simon did not really appeal to me. They were too short. I would have appreciated a little more from the two stories. The Lion and the Unicorn was short but delightful. Delightful may not be the best word to describe the story. It was very short but it was fun. I did not really understand the point of Monday's Child. Was it talking about how people feel on a particular day of the week? Or was it talking about an actual child? These stories were all too short. Only one story was entertaining.

I never really knew the story about Little Bo-Peep. I only knew that she had sheep. I am glad that I got to read this story. I cannot think of why I have not remembered such things from my childhood. 
Overall, I honestly enjoyed this unit. It added variety between the stories. I do like how the stories varied in length, in topics, in endings. Also, the stories featured mini stories, which I gound really entertaining. This was a great unit to read. 

Andrew Lang



No comments:

Post a Comment