Sunday, January 4, 2015

Week One Storytelling: Lets Fall in Love

THERE was a little boy and a little girl
Lived in an alley;
Says the little boy to the little girl,
[202]"Shall I, oh! shall I?"

Says the little girl to the little boy,
"What shall we do?"
Says the little boy to the little girl,
"I will kiss you."



Once upon a time, there lived a boy named Charlie. Charlie would rise early every morning to see the lovely Olivia walk into town. She was a petite and sweet girl with a smile that brightened the world. One day Olivia asked, "why do you follow me into town Mister? You can simply keep me company on my morning walks." Charlie looked forward to those morning walks and carried all her things. After about six months, Charlie finally found the courage to say what he had been wanting to say.

Charlie: Olivia, I have something to ask of you.
Olivia: I may have an answer for you.
Charlie: What if I asked you to be with me for eternity? What if I said I wanted to care for you and begin a legacy with you?
Olivia: I will follow stand by your side and love you for eternity. I will nurture our family and support your leadership.

They kissed. They wed. They loved. They started a family. Charlie and Olivia lived happily ever after!



Marriage


Author's Note: I chose this proverb from The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang (1987). This "Love and Matrimony" piece stood out to me because it was simple but had so much depth to it. I chose to write about a boy and girl that fall in love. The girl, Olivia, had a feeling that Charlie was in love with her and she felt the same. Unlike today's unwritten dating rules, Olivia allowed Charlie to be the leader in the relationship. I appreciated that he took his time to get to know Olivia by partaking in the morning walks. A woman is to be submissive to her husband just as he is to be respectful of his wife. I admire relationships that are built on friendship, patience, and true love. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Chandler, your "Let's Fall in Love" story is just adorable: I will take it as a very good sign indeed that the first storytelling post of the semester is so sweet and charming. Plus I love the way you wrote the back-and-forth dialogue between your characters in nursery rhyme style with that sweet repetition and echoing from one statement to the next. It's beautiful! It is a real treat when people choose this nursery-rhyme option because the stories are all from the author's imagination, built on just the little clues that the rhyme itself offers; everyone comes up with a story that is very much their own. Wonderful! I also really appreciate your getting started early like this, and I am so glad the instructions are making sense. If you run into any snags or have any questions, let me know! I'll be online a lot in the coming days trying to get everything ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love is a curious thing. I enjoy how simple this story is. Today there are so many love stories that are complicated, but it doesn’t have to be that way. All the teenaged romance novels I read back in high school made everything so confusing. Thanks for sharing. I attended a baptist church growing up, and this is what they taught us. Every good relationship needs respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting storytelling for week one. Of course, I am a sucker for stories about love. This story seemed very simple and to the point. There were no complications, just a boy telling a girl what he really felt about her. The simplicity of it, I think, really shows how love should be. Things are only complicated if you make it that way. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chandler!
    I quite enjoyed your story. I think you did a great job taking this proverb from the Nursery Rhyme Book and putting your own unique spin on it. The first thing that caught my eye was the bright pink color that you used. I think that it worked extremely well with your story. It gave it a softness that allowed me to get into the mood of the story and embrace the love theme. The font was a great choice too. To me, it played on the youthfulness of the two main characters. Your writing style worked well with the story. I liked that it was simple just like the love between the two characters. The way that you chose to incorporate the dialogue was a good choice. The script format type of dialogue worked beautifully with the simplicity of the story. Overall, I think you did a really great job presenting the overarching theme and message of the proverb while still making it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chandler, I really enjoyed reading your story. I think the dialogue that you added is a great feature, and it really adds to the story. I like that you kept the same theme that the original proverb had, but you added more to the story. In the future, you may think about giving more background on the characters that really portray their personalities. I think that would help to engage the reader as well as make the story a little more entertaining. Including the original proverb in the story like you did is a great idea, especially if it is not very long. I also think the picture that you chose to include goes perfect with your story.

    I think you did a great job designing your blog. It is easy to navigate and the layout looks very clean. The colors and fonts you chose to use go really well together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chandler,

    I thought your story this week was really cute and fun. Not that many people turned a nursery rhyme into a story so I liked that you did that. I wish that the story had been longer though so that the characters could develop a little bit. I wanted to know maybe what Olivia went into town for every morning and why Charlie insisted on watching her every day. I did like that you incorporated some dialogue between the characters. It helped make the reading a little smoother. I think you needed a comma on the sentence, “Olivia: I will follow, stand by your side and love you for eternity.” The way it reads now sounds like there might be a word missing and is a little difficult to read without punctuation. I really liked the way the story ended though with them getting married and living happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete